Listen to this article

8Border Control in China

China’s border control has different channels for Chinese citizens and foreign citizens. International students should use the channel designated for foreign citizens. Before entering the country, you need to fill out the Application Form for Entry of Foreigners and submit it to the Customs Office inspector. The inspectors may ask about your purpose of travel, contact information, and address in China. It is recommended to prepare your responses in advance and carry relevant documents with you.

Once you have entered the country, you should not stay at the border control office for an extended period. Retrieve your baggage as soon as possible and cooperate with the security check.

For more information, please visit:

7Transportation to School

Upon arrival, students have various transportation options such as taxis, metro, buses, intercity trains, or transit flights to reach their destination city. Please consult your school for specific details. If you choose to arrange your own transportation, refer to the “Traffic” section for further information.


There are usually dormitories available on campus for international students. Alternatively, students can choose to rent housing outside the school.

Please note that if you fail to check in within the specified time period set by the school, you may need to arrange your own accommodation. Therefore, it is important to contact the school for confirmation.

For information regarding arranging your own accommodation, please refer to the “Accommodation” section.

5Freshman Registration

Once you arrive in China, it is essential to promptly complete the registration procedure at the relevant department of your school. Details regarding the time, location, and required documents for registration can be found in your school’s Admission Notice.

In general, the following documents are usually required for freshman registration:

  • Original and photocopy of a valid passport and visa (X1 or X2)
  • Original and photocopy of the Admission Notice
  • Original copy of the Visa Application for Study in China (JW201 or JW202)
  • Passport-sized photos
  • Fees, including registration fee, tuition, medical insurance premium, and accommodation fees
  • Original copy of the Physical Examination Record for Foreigners and Blood Test Report (for students studying in China for more than 6 months)

Please prepare and submit the required documents according to your school’s guidelines.

The registration procedures typically include:

  1. Accommodation: Register for on-campus accommodation and move into the dormitory.
  2. Payment: Pay tuition fees, registration fees, and other related fees.
  3. Medical Insurance Purchase: Present a valid passport and your admission notice, and pay for medical insurance.
  4. Student Registration: Fill out relevant forms for student registration.
  5. Physical Examination: Undergo a physical examination arranged by the school.
  6. Visa Interview: Attend the visa interview organized by the school for first-time residence permit applicants.
  7. Residence Permit: Apply for a residence permit after receiving your medical examination results and passing the visa interview.

Please note that registration procedures may vary among different schools. For more details, consult your own school.

4Opening Bank Account and Mobile Payment

Upon arrival in China, the school will provide guidance on opening a bank account. To apply for a Chinese bank account, you need to bring your passport or other valid identity documents to the bank and fill out the application forms.

Once you have completed the process and obtained your bank card, you can download mobile payment applications like Alipay or WeChat from Huawei App Store, Apple Store, or Android App Market. After downloading the app, signing up, and linking your personal bank account, you can use your mobile phone for payments. Once these operations are completed, you can make purchases by scanning QR codes.

3Physical Examinations

According to Chinese government regulations, international students holding an X1 visa must undergo a health check. Alternatively, students can choose to have a physical examination in their home country before coming to China. In this case, they need to submit the original Physical Examination Record for Foreigners in Chinese or English during student registration and have it reviewed at the local Health Center of the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. If the submitted document does not meet the specifications or if no medical examination has been conducted prior to entering China, the student must take a health check at the local Health Centre of the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. Afterward, the center will issue a Certificate on Verification of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners, which is required when applying for a residence permit in China. The following materials may be necessary for the physical examination:

  • Passport
  • Certificate of physical examination conducted before entering China
  • 2-inch bareheaded ID photo (can be taken at the examination site)
  • Admission Notice (photocopy) or a certificate verifying admission issued by the school

Normally, the school will arrange medical check-ups for students. If you miss the check-up, you will need to go to the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau to complete this procedure. Students with an X2 visa are not required to undergo a medical examination.

2Medical Insurance

Chinese regulations state that international students studying in China for more than six months must purchase medical insurance in China. The school will provide guidance and assistance regarding medical insurance purchase.

1Residence Permit

A Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China is issued to foreigners who will reside in China for more than one year. International students with an X1 visa must convert it to a residence permit within 30 days of entry. The permit should be applied for at the Exit-Entry Administration of the Public Security Bureau in your place of residence. For detailed information, please refer to the Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on the Administration of Entry and Exit of Foreigners, as well as the relevant provisions issued by the local Exit-Entry Administration.

When applying for a residence permit, you need to submit the Certificate on Verification of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners, which is issued by the local inspection and quarantine department. Therefore, please complete the medical examination as soon as possible after entering the country and bring the necessary documents to the local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.

The police station will need to check your original passport when processing your residence permit application. Some other procedures may also require your original passport, such as applying for bank cards or mobile phone/internet access. Therefore, it is important to make necessary arrangements in advance.

*If you cannot arrive at the school before the registration deadline specified by the school, please contact the relevant school administrator in advance to inquire about alternative registration times.

5/5 - (1 vote)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here